These Stuffed Sweet Pepper Poppers are my go-to appetizer for any holiday, party, game day, family event or just a slow Saturday afternoon when I am craving a fancy snack. I like them because there is no need to explain to anyone that they are “keto”.
Sometimes it’s polite to give a fair warning when you bring a keto appetizer to a party — “Okay, so I know this looks like a tater tot- but it’s actually cauliflower- SURPRISE! It’s really good though, I promise…”
These are just a regular ole delicious appetizer that happens to be keto-friendly. My 18 month old, Ella Jean, loves them. My dad who is a self-proclaimed food critic and thinks “keto” is code for “taste like cardboard” makes a special request that I make these anytime we have a family dinner. My husband has eaten this as his entire meal before. These are a crowd pleaser for sure. Every time I make them, I get asked for the recipe. So, here it is!
A few things to note:
Always check the ingredients when buying food- including meats. Hidden sugars are everywhere. I can usually find at least one brand at most grocery stores that has “NO SUGAR ADDED” bacon.
I like to cook the bacon in the oven while I’m preparing the peppers. It cooks it evenly and crispy without smoking up the whole house.
Instead of pepper jack cheese, you can use cheddar cheese to sprinkle over the top. I’ve tried and like both! But the pepper jack gives it a nice little kick.
Stuffed Sweet Pepper Poppers Recipe - Keto Friendly
Christina Foret | May 14, 2019
- prep time: 15 minutes
- cook time: 15 minutes
- total time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb of mini sweet peppers
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- garlic salt
- 1 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese (or cheddar)
- 5 slices of sugar free bacon, cooked and chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchement paper.
- Slice pepppers long ways (try not to cut off the green stem...they're so cute!) Remove the seeds.
- Fill with cream cheese.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Chop bacon and place inside sweet peppers over the top of the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.